We all need a bit of encouragement and inspiration sometimes. In my therapy practice, some of the most common problems I see are clients being hard on themselves, getting caught up in negative thinking cycles, not speaking up for themselves, avoiding doing the healthy things, or being scared to feel their feelings. It is important to learn to be a good coach and a good parent to yourself. If you never had a good parent who understood and encouraged you, you may not know where to start. Here are some encouraging words you can use. Pick your favorite ones and pin them on an inspiration board, put stickies on your fridge, or make a flashcard to carry with you so you can use it in times of stress.
- You’re doing the best you can
- Life isn’t always fair
- Just get started
- It’s OK to take a break
- We don’t always get what we want
- This too will pass
- Today is a new day
- It’s a bad day, not a bad life
- Other people have their issues too
- Stick to your healthy routine
- Keep your eyes on the goal
- You can’t control what you think, but you can control what you do
- Be kind
- Allow yourself to feel
- Express your dissatisfaction constructively
- You can’t control what other people say or do
- Be authentic
- It’s OK to set boundaries and stick to them
- You don’t have to please everybody
- Don’t listen to your judging mind
- Avoidance makes things worse
- It takes courage to face your own weaknesses
- Treat yourself with compassion
- Surround yourself with healthy people
- You can get through this
- You don’t have to be perfect, you just have to try your best
- You can learn and grow from your mistakes
- Learn from the past, but don’t get stuck in it
- If your old ways aren’t working, try something new
- Some things are worth being uncomfortable for
- You don’t have to tolerate abusive behavior
- Don’t let anyone or anything control you
- Find your own voice
- It’s OK to feel
- Vulnerability can be a strength
- Take care of your inner child
- Don’t listen to critical voices; your own or other people’s
- Look for love in healthy ways
- Stay grounded
- Don’t compare your insides to someone else’s outsides
- You can learn to keep yourself safe
- Let your values guide you
- Ask for support when you need it
- Walk your own path but make room for others
- Follow your passions.
- Get up again when you fall
- Don’t judge anybody without understanding their circumstances
- Everybody messes up sometimes
- Learn to forgive yourself
- Respect yourself and others
Lovely, and reading these have helped me. Making a copy to refer to whenever I need. Thanks so much!
Thanks Jane! I’m glad you are able to use the quotes in your daily life.
How lovely to be greeted by these positive thoughts, first thing Monday morning. Thank you.
Thank you Melanie. These are beautiful!!
Love this. Thank you for what you do. It’s so helpful.
This list is great…! Spot on and what I need. I will print them out and have them next to my bed.
Thank you ❤️
Hi everyone, praise Jesus, I’m thankful ,I’m always seeking new affirmations to add daily to my positive self-talk to build myself and others in sphere of influence, 😁😁😁😁